I have a lot to say. I always do. I could talk the ears off a statue. I spend a lot of time enjoying life. And a lot of time developing questions inside my head. I write books based on those questions, based off other people who have other people thoughts, and the development of empathy. I’m a firm believer of the Real. A firm believer that there is nothing more important in this world than that simple statement: we are here. We must be. Must.
I also know there’s more to me than my body, my forward thoughts, my incensed words. I am more than my body.
So I’m pulling a list out of my head of things I’m grateful for, to anyone who will read.
For this year, I am thankful for:
- New music and a new sound system
- Orchid. Orchid. Orchid
- Parks near where I live, and people to walk them with me
- Having the ability to pay for, and enjoy, my world, despite the frustrations (or possibly because of them)
- A family to fall back on
- Self-reliance and support
- The ability to write well
- New opportunities in the next year
- God, Me, You
It is short. It is direct. But it isn’t exactly what I mean. So here is the list I actually wrote first, but found it to possibly be too abstract:
- I’m thankful for music, art, writing, and all forms of expansive thought; for those of us who know we are real, but also know we are more than that.
- I am thankful for short words and long breaths, for the moments between words, and comfortable voices in darkness.
- I am thankful for friendship, for twilights and dawns and long parks filled with marble stone.
- I am thankful for this moment. And this one. And this. I am thankful for memories that come back broken, and surprises that come back memories.
- I am thankful for intent and indentations, soft hearts beneath hard armament, where the spears have buckled and bucklers have broken.
- I am thankful for the powers of selflessness, selfishness, and the self.
- I am thankful for being a flower of insurmountable color, an animal of powerful character, and a pact worth reading.
- I am thankful for stars, kind faces, wild places, and hope. Mostly for hope.
- I am thankful for the power of generosity and great forgiveness in the face of threat and danger.
- I thank God for God, me for me, and you for you.
We are Groot.